Wednesday, April 23, 2008

CSA Starting

Summer Veg

It's summer in Austin, and today marks the first weekly box of veggies from our CSA from Hairston Creek Farms. For those who we haven't already bored with the description, this is the box of veggies and fruits that we get each week from a farm that is nearby - in our case, in Burnet, TX which is about 45 minutes north of Austin.

This year, we've elected to go with the every other week box since Tom is out of town every other week. We had a hard time keeping up with the veggies last year when we were both in town, so trying to have a box a week would just be way too much. Basically through the summer, we aim for this box to be the vast majority of what we eat. It helps us eat seasonally, locally and mostly plants.

This week we are getting
• Asparagus
• Beets
• Broccoli sprouts
• Lettuce
• Green Garlic
• Green Onions
• White Icicle Radishes
• French Breakfast Radishes
• Swiss Chard
• Strawberries
• Red and green lettuce

I'm going to start a project to collect recipes that I can make using the ingredients I get in the box with little else. Things that will have to be added include grains, beans and oils. There are a number of "farmer's market" type cookbooks, but they typically have vegetables combined that aren't in season at the same time in Texas. So this is what I get this week - what can I do with that?

2 comments:

Kimberly Gische said...

Does your box come with a newsletter? The ones I've gotten in the past have newsletters that usually include a couple of recipes for what to do with this season's produce.

I have a recipe for a feta and beet salad that is quite tasty that I can forward you. I also have a whole grains cookbook that has some stuff that might help. I'll pass along what looks good and uses what you listed.

sb8q said...

Yup - we get an email every Wednesday when the box arrives, and it usually includes one recipe. But all too often, it requires a whole lot of things from the grocery store. I'd love to see the beet salad recipe. I also found a "Shredded Raw Beet Salad" recipe that sounds interesting. I'll post it.