Friday, May 2, 2008

How the kitchen was supposed to look

We got a different refrigerator recently. No, there was nothing wrong with the old one. The problem was that the form factor (side-by-side) didn't allow us to push the unit all the way to the back of the cabinet that was designed for it. When I designed the cabinets, I wanted to have a built in look for the fridge, but without the pricetag of an actual built in unit. However, I didn't know that the cabinet needed to either be wider to accommodate the one we bought, or I needed the whole thing to line up flush with the pantry wall. Not the most interesting technical details really, but it's the one really big thing that wasn't right in the house, and now it has been fixed (or rather, the problem is no longer visible) and I can stop talking about it.

So we sold our original fridge to Michael and Andrea - newly moved here from Kansas, and we got something that works given the weird constraints of the cabinet as it was built.

Here are the results. First of all, I think it looks quite nice all tucked up in it's cabinet.




Then here is the pathway. We've regained about 9 inches of space here, which is a big deal when you are only working with 36 inches total




Lastly, the wall got nicely munged up when we were moving things in and out.


2 comments:

Me said...

Sweet! That looks really nice :) Where did you get your metal magnetic panels? I want some of those!!

sb8q said...

The metallic panels are from IKEA. Nice and lightweight, and I think they cost about $12 a piece. Maybe $15