Monday, May 5, 2008

Recipe Review - Shredded Raw Beet Salad

Shredded Raw Beet Salad
Combine the following and chill at least 30 minutes
• 2 cups coarsely shredded raw beets
• 1/4 cup vinegar
• 1/3 cuo oil
• salt & pepper to taste
• juice of 1 lemon
Then add the following, toss, and serve
• 3 cups shredded lettuce
• 1 tablespoon chopped chives
• 1-2 shredded carrots (optional)

Overall this was a fine dish. Nothing that really made me overly joyous, but it was very pleasant. Since the beets are raw, they have that earthy smell. they are nice and crunch. I did elect to add some carrots, and I think the dish wouldn't be nearly as good without them. I'll make it again, since I know that I'll get more beets with the CSA boxes.

  • Tom felt the dressing was too strong - I used Red Wine Vinegar. I'm thinking that a rice vinegar would be nice, and a bit milder. I think this is much like any vinaigrette - adjust the oil and vinegar according to your tastes
  • I used a red romaine lettuce, and minced it up really well - sort of like you might do for a chopped salad. This worked well
  • I didn't have any chives, or even anything chive-like. I think that they added zing that would add would make the dish much nicer
  • I used red beets, and not surprisingly, the dish comes out ridiculously red as a result. It would be interesting to try it with some golden beets

No comments: